The vision of the Department of Biochemistry is to be a recognized and distinguished unit in the field of biochemistry and clinical biochemistry in Basra and Iraq by providing excellent teaching and training for the medical, allied health science, and postgraduate students. In addition, the department should work to produce highly skilled and qualified graduates in clinical chemistry and laboratory medicine to provide a competent and effective service to achieve maximum benefit for the patient.
The department main functions are: teaching medical chemistry, biochemistry and clinical biochemistry to both undergraduate medical students, health allied sciences, as well as medical & non medical postgraduate students.
In addition to teaching, members of the department are involved in research and advisory work to other departments in the colleges of Medicine and Science and to the health authorities in Basrah regarding all aspects of clinical biochemistry and laboratory investigations. Also the department aims to provide graduates that are capable of teaching and performing research in the field of clinical chemistry and laboratory medicine and offer medical, diagnostic and advance laboratory services.
Regarding the community the department has research activities concerned with solving common health problems in our localities and intended to reveal the biochemical knowledge and changes especially in research areas in Basra and IRAQ in general. Emphasis is particularly directed upon red blood cell enzymopathy (particularly G6PD deficiency) and haemoglobinopathy ( e.g. sickle cell disease and thalassemia); risk factors of cardiovascular disease and diabetes mellitus particularly lipid profile and oxidative stress as well as biochemical markers in different types of malignancies
Teaching objectives (whole course):
The general objectives and overall aim of the teaching course is:
1. To teach sufficient biochemistry to give the student a basic understanding of life processes at the molecular level.
2. To provide an understanding of the normal biochemical process in the human body in which the function of the various organs and tissues are integrated.
3. To comprehend the principles of metabolic integration that would contribute to the student’s understanding of the biochemical basis of various diseased processes.
4. To undertake practical classes that would familiarize the student with the various chemical methods that is used in the diagnosis of disease.
5. To familiarize the students with modern biochemical techniques and their uses in the diagnosis of diseases especially genetic diseases.
The department was established in the academic year 1967-1968 as Department of Physiology and Biochemistry, then as the Department of Biochemistry in the academic year 1969-1970.
The department main functions are: teaching medical chemistry, Biochemistry and clinical biochemistry to both medical and non medical undergraduate and postgraduate students at the colleges of Medicine, Pharmacy, and Dentistry of Basra University. As well as Iraqi and Arab Board Students.
In addition to teaching, members of the department are involved in research and advisory work to other departments in the colleges of Medicine and Science and to the health authorities in Basra regarding all aspects of Clinical Biochemistry laboratory investigations.